Ben is a trial attorney focused on patent litigation. Prior to joining Verrill, Ben spent nearly 20 years practicing in large international law firms.
His extensive experience includes numerous trials in federal and state courts throughout the country, as well as in matters before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Ben works with clients to use litigation to resolve disputes, achieve business objectives, and manage risk. He is particularly skilled in quickly identifying core issues and crafting a clear and consistent strategy for success. His strong background in both intellectual property litigation and complex commercial litigation provides for a multifaceted approach to his cases.
Ben's patent cases encompass a broad range of technologies including telecommunications, software, semiconductors, data storage systems, SMS messaging, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), speech recognition, video monitoring product, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and consumer goods. Ben also has substantial experience litigating against non-practicing entities and has resolved many such cases successfully.
Public service is an integral part of Ben's practice. Earlier in his career, he served as a special assistant district attorney in the Middlesex District Attorney's Office, where he prosecuted cases involving violent crime, financial fraud, and other offenses, and tried a variety of cases to juries and judges. Ben was also appointed as a special assistant attorney general to represent the Governor of Massachusetts and was named special counsel to the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners.
Ben is also active in his community and the legal profession, serving on the board of the Federal Bar Association IP Section, in leadership roles at his synagogue, on the board of the Brookline Innovation Fund, which helps develop new classes for Brookline High School, and on the board of Crossroads, which prepares young people in Massachusetts for postsecondary success and empowers them to become leaders.
- New York University School of Law (J.D.)
- Swarthmore College (B.A., With Distinction)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Board of Trustees, Crossroads
- Board of Trustees, Brookline Innovation Fund
- Board of Trustees, Temple Israel of Boston (2014-2020)
- Board Member, Federal Bar Association, IP Section
- Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Rising Star, New England Super Lawyers (2008-2009, 2011-2014)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- The Honorable Gregory M. Sleet, District of Delaware (2000-2001)
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts