Chris advises private equity funds, fundless sponsors, and portfolio and operating companies on mergers and acquisitions and manages the legal challenges that these businesses face. He is the Chair of Verrill's Business Law Group.
Using a practical approach that comes from his experience practicing both in-house and with major law firms, Chris has advised investment funds and businesses on many successful transactions, including:
- Sale by a private equity-sponsored platform of its online education portfolio company providing student assessment development and educator professional development
- Numerous transactions on behalf of a multibillion-dollar family of investment funds acquiring partnership interests in the secondary market and making direct investments
- More than 10 acquisitions and sales of home heating oil distributors for one of the country's largest providers of residential oil heat energy services, in addition to the sale of its fleet-fueling and electricity supply businesses
- Representation of a Boston-based commercial real estate development and investment company in connection with the negotiation of complex joint ventures and the associated transactions relating to major commercial and hotel development and redevelopment projects in the Northeast
- Acquisition of burial vault manufacturers and crematories by a leading manufacturer and distributor of burial vaults and provider of death care services in the Northeast
- More than a dozen acquisitions and sales for a private equity fund including the equity support for a management buyout of a mid-Atlantic manufacturer and the sale of a portfolio company providing transportation construction and maintenance equipment and intelligence systems
Chris was previously General Counsel and Secretary of a publicly traded technology company, where his diverse legal responsibilities included overseeing SEC reporting, managing intellectual property development and protection, negotiating key contracts and licenses, managing litigation, and managing investor relations. This experience helps him see things from a client's perspective.
Before becoming an attorney, Chris managed several departments supporting Chase Manhattan Bank's government and mortgage-backed securities traders in New York City.
Chris is proud to provide pro bono representation in conjunction with the Connecticut Veterans Legal Center, for which he has represented veterans in matrimonial and housing cases.
- University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D., With Honors)
- Lehigh University (B.S.)
- New York
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth - Connecticut Chapter
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Corporate/M&A
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York