Betsy's practice focuses on all aspects of corporate, antitrust, and health care law. She has extensive transactional experience in mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, venture capital financing, contract negotiations including domestic and international licensing agreements, franchise agreements representing both franchisors and franchisees, business tax planning, commercial lending, and equipment leasing. She has extensive experience in all aspects of corporate and health care antitrust counseling and investigations. She represents for-profit and nonprofit corporations, hospitals, clinics, and physician groups before the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general. She advises clients on matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Chinese tariffs, and Iranian sanctions.
Betsy was selected by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as a Top Woman of Law. Prior to joining Verrill, she was selected by Rhode Island Governor Bruce Sundlun to serve as the Governor's Executive Counsel and was also appointed by Senators Inouye and McCain to a committee to draft amendments to the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D.)
- Law Review
- Kenyon College (B.A., cum laude)
- With Distinction
- Plan International USA, Board of Directors and Governing Board Chair (2012-present)
- WaterFire Providence, Chair Emeritus (2015-present); Board Chairperson (2012-2015)
- Rhode Island
- American Bar Association: Section of Antitrust Law, Corporate Counseling Committee, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, Pricing Conduct Committee; Section of Business Law; Section of Health Law; Forum on Franchising
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Recognized as one of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2014 Top Women of Law
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Corporate/M&A
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law in Boston, Massachusetts
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Business/Corporate, Health Care and Antitrust Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit