As a City Councilor, Mayor of Portland and member of the Portland Regional Chamber, Jim Cohen has supported the "Creative Economy" of the Greater Portland area. Jim convened a local summit and multiple stakeholder groups in an effort to strengthen this local, knowledge-based economy.
The entries below highlight Jim's efforts to support Portland's Creative Economy.
About the Creative Economy:
- Jim Cohen discussed the Creative Economy in his "Mayor's Inaugural Address and Recognition of Portland's Growing Creative Economy," December 12, 2005.
- "Summit of Creative Economy Offers Ways to Help Arts Flourish," Portland Press Herald,June 1, 2006.
- Creative Economy Summit Report, May 31, 2006.
- Following the Creative Economy Summit, Jim convened a Creative Economy Steering Committee to develop recommendations based on the direction provided by the summit.
- The Creative Economy Steering Committee recommended the formation of a quasi-public corporation called the Creative Portland Corporation, which, with Jim's participation, was formed by the City of Portland in 2008.
- "Building the Local Creative Economy," Presented at Juice 2.0 Conference, November 13, 2009.
- "What is the Creative Economy: Lessons Learned in Portland," Presented at the Maine Business and Technology Expo, May 12, 2010.
Pro-bono government relations services to state-wide cultural institutions:
Jim delivered presentations about gaining advocacy before the Maine Legislature to the Maine Library Association, Maine Humanities Council and Maine Historical Society.