Regional Economic Development
During his time as Mayor of Portland, Jim Cohen facilitated a multi-party stakeholder group of municipalities, colleges, and businesses to form a regional economic development corporation. Jim continues to support regional economic development as vice-chair of the Portland Regional Chamber.
The following entries provide more information about Jim Cohen's regional economic development efforts:
Regional Economic Development Stakeholder Facilitation:
- Resolution Endorsing Metro Regional Coalition.
- Portland Chamber Keys on Growth; The Community Group Sets Economic Development Goals, Including a Task Force with the City, Portland Press Herald,March 2, 2006.
- Mayor's State of the City and Farewell Address, James I. Cohen, December 4, 2006.
- The Greater Portland Economic Development Corporation was formed as a result of years of planning by the Portland Regional Chamber, chaired by Jim Cohen.
Regional Economic Development Initiatives:
- City to Study Prospect of Bigger Airport, Portland Press Herald, March 8, 2005.
- Mayor Wants City to Explore Civic Center Renovations, Portland Press Herald,February 2, 2006.
- Civic Center Face-Lift Revisited, Portland Press Herald,June 27, 2007.
- Bridgton Officials Oppose Civic Center Bond, WCSH 6 News, October 28, 2011.
- Voters to Decide Fate of Civic Center, WMTW News 8, November 7, 2011.
Jim Cohen appeared in a TV ad on behalf of the Civic Center Bond Campaign. The bond initiative was eventually passed by voters with 58% of the vote.