For more than 30 years, Gregg has advised clients on federal laws and regulations governing employee benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements.
Gregg focuses primarily on the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”), and the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (“Code”) relating to retirement benefits (pension, 401(k) and 403(b) benefits), welfare benefits (health, life, disability, and severance benefits), deferred compensation (457 plans and plans subject to 409A) and executive compensation (incentive plans and equity-based arrangements). He has extensive experience advising clients on fiduciary standards under ERISA and tax qualification requirements under the Code; and drafting plans, committee charters, investment policy statements and executive compensation arrangements.
He is senior counsel and past Chair of the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Group, he served on the firm’s Executive Board from 2008 through 2011, and he chaired the firm's Total Quality Steering Committee from its inception in 1995 until 2009.
Gregg enjoys walking in all seasons, spending time in the summer with family and friends at a camp on a lake in northern Maine, working with developmentally disabled adults (something he has done for many years) in a program established by the Archdiocese of Chicago, and traveling to Rome whenever possible. Gregg served on active duty in the United States Air Force from 1971-1978.
Services / Industries
- Harvard Law School (J.D.)
- Columbia University (M.A.)
- United States Air Force Academy (B.S.)
- Past Board Member, Shalom House
- Past Board Member, Demers Group Home
- Past Member, Commission to Study the Maine State Retirement System
- Past Chair of the Finance Council and Chair of the Human Resources Committee for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland
- Maine State Bar Association
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2011 Portland, ME Employee Benefits Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Employee Benefits
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.