Through his decades of legal service to the construction industry, John has cultivated a practical approach to solving complex problems. John's clients include contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, material suppliers, and developers, as well as both public and private project owners. John's clients rely on his efficiency, common sense, and results-oriented approach to solve their legal problems.
In more than 20 years representing clients in construction disputes, John has litigated, arbitrated, and mediated in the state and federal courts of New England and beyond. With an engineering background, he is well-suited to dealing with contractors, architects, and engineers, and the complex technical issues arising in construction litigation. John has litigated complex construction disputes involving changed conditions, delay and inefficiency, force majeure, design malpractice, and construction defects. He also has extensive experience counseling public and private project owners, contractors, and design professionals in the area of design and construction services procurement including bid protests, and drafting and negotiating design and construction contracts.
In addition to construction matters, John represents businesses, financial institutions, and individuals in complex commercial disputes including business torts, fraudulent transfers, enforcement of security agreements, insurance coverage issues, Uniform Commercial Code matters, and commercial foreclosures.
John holds a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering and is a patented inventor (Patent No. 5,248,244). John now lives in Cumberland, Maine, with his wife and two sons. When not in his office, he can be found enjoying Maine's woods and waters with his family.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D.)
- Syracuse University (B.S.M.E.)
- Board of Directors, Cumberland Bar Association (2007-present; past President)
- Board of Directors, Cromwell Center for Disabilities Awareness (2018-present)
- Member of Board of Directors and Building Committee Chair, Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland (2005-2014)
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Construction Law, Litigation - Construction in Portland, Maine
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Construction Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Rising Stars© under Construction Litigation: Business, Professional Liability: Defense and General Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit