Kurt focuses his practice in all aspects of estate planning, probate administration, and trust administration as well as tax planning and charitable gift planning for individuals and nonprofit entities.
Kurt serves on the planned giving committees of numerous charitable organizations and is a frequent speaker on estate planning topics. Kurt served on the Maine Bar Association's Uniform Trust Committee in its efforts to review and update Maine's law governing trust administration. He served as the Chair of Verrill's Private Clients Group for more than 10 years.
Kurt has been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D.)
- Williams College (B.A.)
- Maine Coast Heritage Trust, Chair, Board of Trustees (2006-present)
- Eckerd College, Board of Trustees (elected 2019)
- Past Secretary, Board of Trustees, Maine Medical Center
- Past Trustee, Maine Preservation
- Past Trustee, Portland Symphony Orchestra
- Past Chair, Board of Trustees, Victoria Mansion
- Maine State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers High Net Worth under Private Wealth Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2020 Portland, Maine Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2015 Portland, Maine Litigation - Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Trusts and Estates
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Estate Planning & Probate and Nonprofit Organizations
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Tax Court