Since joining the firm in 1988, Lisa has practiced exclusively in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, with a particular emphasis on the design, drafting and operation of 401(k) plans (of both publicly traded and privately held companies), IRS correction programs and procedures for qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, and ERISA fiduciary duties and responsibilities.
Lisa regularly advises 401(k) plan clients regarding the design and implementation of automatic contribution arrangements (including QACAs and EACAs); implementation of a qualified default investment alternative (QDIA) and the requirements for compliance with the QDIA regulations; and procedures for plan loan administration, QDRO administration, missing participants and uncashed distribution checks. She has extensive experience (1) advising clients on the requirements applicable to tax-qualified retirement plans and nonqualified deferred compensation plans, (2) representing clients whose employee benefit plans are audited by the IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor, and (3) advising clients on employee benefit plan issues in mergers and acquisitions. She also has deep experience drafting plan documents, fiduciary committee documents, including investment policy statements and charters, and participant disclosure documents, including SPDs and required notices.
Lisa served on the firm's Associate Review Committee from July 2006 through April 2015 and chaired that Committee from January 2009 through April 2015. In 2017, she chaired the firm's Associate Leave Policy Task Force. As a mother of triplets, Lisa enjoys mentoring younger attorneys on work/life balance issues.
Services / Industries
- Duke University School of Law (J.D.)
- Hamilton College (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Past President and Member, Falmouth Maine Emergency Medical Team
- American Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association, including the Women’s Law Section
- Maine Employee Benefits Council
- New England Employee Benefits Council
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Labor & Employment:
Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2018 & 2015 Portland, Maine Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.