Mike is a highly-regarded, Boston-based business and tax lawyer helping clients with sophisticated transactions in the areas of business, real estate, tax and financial planning and estate and gift tax planning for individuals. He has over 45 years of experience with for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, partnerships and limited liability companies, individuals and corporations.
Mike was the Chairman of the Rackemann, Sawyer & Brewster's Tax Practice Group and served as Managing Director of the firm. In addition, he is active as a leader in the civic and professional life of Boston.
Mike has been a frequent lecturer and contributing author for MCLE, Federal Tax Institute and ALI/ABA programs on real estate and complex partnership taxation issues.
Mike joined Rackemann in 1971, right out of law school. Rackemann combined with Verrill Dana LLP in 2022.
- Harvard Law School (J.D.)
- Boston College (B.A., summa cum laude)
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Society of Fellows, Boston Bar Association
- Trustee, Brigham and Women’s Physicians’ Organization (2000-present)
- Chairman, Compensation Committee, Brigham and Women’s Physicians Organization (2000-present)
- Member, Standing Committee on Conflicts of Interest, Harvard Medical School (1994-present)
- Corporate Member, Partners HealthCare System, Inc. (1995-present)
- Member, Committee on Professional and Institutional Conduct, Partners HealthCare System, Inc. (1997-2008)
- Director, International Fund for Animal Welfare, Inc. (1998-2002)
- Chairman and Director, Operation Smile (Greater Boston Chapter) (1995-2001)
- Director, Brigham Surgical Group, Inc. (1996-2000)
- Director, BWH Anesthesia Foundation, Inc. (1995-2000)
- Chairman, Ventures Advisory Committee, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (1986-1997)
- Trustee, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (1987-1996)
- Selected for listing in The Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2020
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court