Focusing her practice on the representation of public utilities and telecommunications providers before state commissions and the Federal Communications Commission, Nora advises public utilities and telecommunications providers on all aspects of utilities regulation and regulatory compliance. From highly contested cases involving the permitting of new electric transmission lines to rulemaking and compliance proceedings, Nora maintains a comprehensive practice in this complex area of administrative and regulatory law. Nora has particular experience before the Maine Public Utilities Commission. Whether she is working on developing a compelling initial filing, managing voluminous discovery under tight deadlines, or representing her clients in the hearing room, Nora displays creativity, determination and a thoughtful approach to resolving legal issues.
Recent highlights include:
- Electric Distribution Rate Cases
- Electric Stranded Cost Rate Cases
- Certificates of Public Convenience and Necessity for Electric Transmission Lines
- MPUC Rulemakings
- SmartGrid and Non-Wires Alternatives Proceedings
- Affiliate Transactions and Reorganizations
- Sales of Water Resource Lands
- Lifeline Services for Telecommunications Providers
- Pole Attachment Proceedings
- Utility Change of Control Authorizations
Nora has presented at a number of conferences, most recently speaking about “Developments in Non-Wires Alternatives in Maine” in June, 2018. Nora also contributes to the Energy Group's blog, Energy Law Update, and joined a number of Energy Group colleagues in co-authoring the second edition of Maine Regulation of Public Utilities.
Prior to joining the firm, Nora served as a law clerk to Justices Howard H. Dana, Jr. and Susan Calkins, both of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. Nora also served as a legal intern for Judge Kermit V. Lipez of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Nora received her B.A. from Oberlin College in 1993 and her J.D. from the University of Maine School of Law in 2002. Between college and law school, Nora worked in politics and later for MBNA.
When not practicing law, Nora enjoys biking, horseback riding, raising chickens, hiking and adventures of all sorts.
Services / Industries
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Oberlin College (B.A.)
- Wolfe's Neck Center for Agriculture and the Environment, Board of Directors (2011-present)
- Maine Volunteer Lawyers Project, Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Verrill Pro Bono Coordinator (2013-present)
- Freeport Shellfish Commission (2005-2018)
- Freeport Community Services, White Nights Committee (2015-2019)
- Cleaves Law Library, Board of Directors (2006-2013)
- Campaign for Justice, Events Committee Chair (2013)
- New Hampshire
- Maine State Bar Association
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Energy & Natural Resources
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2013, 2015 and 2016)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Administrative/Regulatory Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Utilities and Energy & Natural Resources
- Maine Bar Foundation Fellows New Lawyer Award (2012)
- Natural Resources Council of Maine, Environmental Award (2008)
- Faculty Significant Achievement Award (2002)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court, Justice Howard H. Dana
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court, Justice Susan Calkins