Peter's practice has focused primarily in the areas of corporate, business, banking, and educational law. Peter is the firm's Senior Partner Emeritus and a member of the Business Law Group.
Peter served as General Counsel for Bowdoin College for four decades and has advised a broad variety of businesses, including publicly held corporations and non-profit corporations throughout the state of Maine.
Peter has been recognized as a leading attorney in Maine in the areas of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and securities law through his inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© since 1983. He also contributed to the legal profession when he was Chair of the Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices, of the Board of Overseers of the Bar and its Grievance Commission, and of the Board of Trustees of the Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection.
- Cornell Law School (LL.B.)
- Bowdoin College (A.B.)
- Former Chair & Director, Maine Humanities Council
- Former Trustee, Maine Community Foundation Fund
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection (1997-2005)
- Chair, Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices (1997-2002)
- Chair, Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar (1990-1992)
- Chair, Grievance Commission, Board of Overseers of the Bar (1984-1988)
- Maine State, American, and Cumberland County Bar Associations
- Fellow, Maine Justice Foundation
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Corporate Law
- Listed in Who's Who in American Law
- Listed in Who's Who in America
- Bowdoin College Alumni Service Award (1999)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court