Phil is a seasoned trial attorney, having brought numerous cases to successful verdicts in both federal and state courts throughout Maine for nearly forty years.
His practice focuses on civil litigation with an emphasis on the defense of physicians, hospitals, nurses, and allied healthcare providers. Phil also represents physicians and other professionals in licensure investigations and applications and in related administrative proceedings. As a result of his considerable trial experience, Phil has been inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Society of Barristers.
Phil also has an active products liability defense practice and has successfully defended national companies as well as local retailers. Phil has served for many years as counsel to the Maine Chiefs of Police Association providing them with advice and representation as needed.
Phil is committed to active involvement in both professional and community organizations and has spoken at numerous seminars. In 1994, Phil was elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates, an organization that is committed to improving the ethical and practice standards of trial attorneys and preserving the right to trial by jury and the trial process and is past President of the Maine Chapter of ABOTA. He has also served on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court Committee on Professional Responsibility.
Phil and his wife, Susan Peck, also an attorney, have three grown daughters. They spend much of their free time in the Maine outdoors, skiing, bicycling, hiking, paddling, and gardening.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Managing Editor, Maine Law Review
- University of Maine (B.A., summa cum laude)
- Board Member, Maine Huts & Trails
- President, Village on the Green Association, Carrabassett Valley, ME
- Past Board Member and President of Bicycle Coalition of Maine
- Past Chair, Board of Directors of the Regional Transportation Program, Inc.
- Past Chair, Portland Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Past President, Maine Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Past President, Tri-State Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Recognized in the Best Lawyers in America® (Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, Personal injury Litigation-Defendants)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Stars, and Chambers USA Leading Lawyers
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© (2007-2022)
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© "Best of the Best" Top 100 New England lawyers, one of five Maine designees, 2014
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court, J. Godfrey
Court and Other Admissions
- United States District Court for District of Maine
- United States Court of Appeals First Circuit