Seth represents clients in complex intellectual property disputes across all stages of litigation and in a range of industries and technologies, such as solid-state (i.e. LED) lighting, telecommunications, software, electronic health records, robotics, IoT devices and GPS-enabled consumer goods.
Seth handles disputes from early assessment, dispositive motions, Markman, trial, and through appeal. Seth also has extensive experience defending companies against non-practicing entities, also known as “patent trolls.” Seth is experienced in organizing and leading joint-defense groups in coordinating litigation strategy against some of the largest and sophisticated patent trolls.
In addition to his federal court experience, Seth also has experience in post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (“PTAB”). Seth has represented both patent challengers as well as patent owners, and has secured favorable resolutions as a result of the proceedings. Seth also has experience in Section 337 investigations before the International Trade Commission.
Seth also provides clients strategic pre-litigation counsel to manage risk and develop business strategies in crowded intellectual property environments. Seth helps clients identify key threats and develop creative and effective strategies for managing external risk. Seth also helps develop strategies for protecting key intellectual property assets for intellectual property owners.
In addition to his patent work, Seth also has experience representing clients with trademark and copyright disputes in industries such as hospitality, consumer goods, software, and financial services. Seth’s experience includes both federal court litigation as well as administrative actions before the USPTO.
When he is not at his desk, Seth can likely be found either exploring the mountains of New England or trying his hand at something new in the kitchen with his wife and son.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Hamilton College (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Board of Directors, WinterKids
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Boston Patent Law Association
- The Kenneth R. Clegg Award for Excellence
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2016 & 2019)
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch under Intellectual Property Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Intellectual Property Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit