Seth represents clients in complex intellectual property disputes across a range of industries and technologies. He works to understand each client's business and goals to develop and execute the most effective strategy, whether that involves pre-litigation negotiation, administrative action before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, or litigation.
Seth has assisted clients in patent disputes in high-tech fields such as telecommunications, software, and solid-state lighting, in courts such as the Eastern District of Texas, the District of New Hampshire, and the District of Massachusetts. Seth is experienced in developing infringement and validity analyses as well as damages theories, and developing, briefing, and arguing Markman hearings. Seth also has experience providing strategic pre-litigation counsel, including pre-suit risk analysis and developing risk-mitigation strategies.
In addition to his patent work, Seth has experience assisting clients with protecting and managing their brands. His experience runs the gamut of trademark disputes from complaint, motion practice, and summary judgment through trial. Seth has represented clients in the hospitality, beverage, and nutritional supplement industries in trademark disputes before courts in New York, Michigan, Massachusetts, and Maine. He has also litigated disputes over trademark registrations before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
In addition to his intellectual property work, Seth has represented clients in matters before state and federal courts involving product liability claims, contract disputes, and claims of unfair trade practices, as well as real estate and probate disputes.
Seth has experience before a variety of appellate courts. He has assisted in appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, as well as multiple appeals before the Maine Law Court. Seth's appellate experience involves matters such as property rights, venue, breach of contract, professional licensing, business interference claims, and claims against fiduciaries.
When he is not at his desk, Seth, a Maine native, spends much of his time hiking and skiing in the New England mountains.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Hamilton College (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Board of Directors, WinterKids
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Boston Patent Law Association
- The Kenneth R. Clegg Award for Excellence
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2016 & 2019)
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch under Intellectual Property Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Intellectual Property Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit