Steve brings dedication, an eye for the practical, and the highest level of work ethic to his busy civil litigation practice. He frequently represents individuals, businesses, and multinational corporations in a wide variety of civil matters, particularly in the areas of complex commercial and bankruptcy litigation.
Steve has litigated cases in several different jurisdictions in and outside of New England. His broad and diverse commercial litigation practice has included disputes involving breach of contract claims, matters arising under the Uniform Commercial Code, enforcement of mortgages and security agreements, and other business torts. He has also litigated numerous disputes before the United States Bankruptcy Court, including those involving fraudulent and unauthorized post-petition transfers, preferences, aiding and abetting, and directors’ and officers’ breaches of fiduciary duties.
Before joining Verrill, Steve served as a law clerk to the Honorable John A. Woodcock of the United States District Court for the District of Maine. During law school, Steve served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Kermit V. Lipez of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
When Steve is outside the office, in addition to enjoying his time with his fiancée, Ali, and their dog, Andy, Steve devotes much of his time and energy to any and all aspects of baseball. During his time as a graduate student at Clark University, he wrote his master's thesis on the role of baseball during Reconstruction, which was subsequently published in an academic history journal. Currently, Steve enjoys obsessing over the Boston Red Sox and discussing baseball history. When the Red Sox are not in play, Steve turns his attention to the Boston Celtics and New England Patriots.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude)
- Articles Editor, Maine Law Review
- Clark University (M.A.)
- Clark University (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Portland High School Mentoring Program, Mentor (2011-2012)
- Clark University Alumni and Parent Admissions Program (2015-present)
- Foundation for Portland Public Schools, Member, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Maine State Bar Association, Leadership Academy (2019)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- Gignoux Inn of Court
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2016-2017)
- Faculty Significant Achievement Award, University of Maine School of Law
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch under Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Civil Litigation: Defense
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine, Hon. John A. Woodcock
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit