With clients from Shanghai to Toronto to California, Tim maintains a national litigation practice in a variety of high-tech fields with a particular focus on patents and patent "troll" litigation. Tim's practice involves extensive work in the software, electronics, lighting, computer chip manufacturing, and medical device fields.
Tim's complaint-to-trial experience includes Markman hearings in courts across the country, from Massachusetts to Texas. Recent highlights include representation of:
- First-chair leadership of a life-sciences (human mesenchymal stem cells) patent inventorship trial in D.Mass.
- Patent enforcement action involving LED lighting technology in D.N.J.
- Patent dispute concerning genetically modified mice (Alzheimer’s model) in M.D.Fla.
- Shanghai-based computer chip manufacturer through Markman and settlement in a patent troll case in E.D. Tex.
- North Carolina-based Integrated Development Environment software manufacturer in a patent troll case in E.D. Tex.
- Toronto-based life sciences company specializing in plant-based manufacturing/gene expression of human monoclonal antibodies
- National LED lighting company in extensive patent licensing negotiations and pre-suit investigation against a 200-patent portfolio
Clients have entrusted some of their most difficult and technologically sophisticated cases to Tim and his team.
Prior to joining Verrill, Tim practiced in the #1-ranked IP litigation practice group at WilmerHale. While there and since, Tim has handled patent cases involving a wide range of technologies including software, data and telecommunications, online banking, computerized mammogram screening, controlled fluid delivery in medical devices, spinal fixation, and blood glucose testing.
When not practicing law, Tim is active in local, state, and federal politics. He is a former member of both the Hillary for Maine Finance Committee and the Obama for Maine Finance Committee. He is Chairman of the Yarmouth Town Democratic Committee. He is President-Elect of the Federal Bar Association of Maine, and—most important—a devoted husband and father of three fantastic kids.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Oxford University (M.St.)
- Yale University (B.S.)
- Yarmouth Town Council
- Board of Directors, Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
- Office of the High Representative, Human Rights Officer (Sarajevo, Bosnia)
- Soros Foundation, Volunteer (Bosnia)
- Special Assistant Attorney General (Massachusetts)
- Federal Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Named a Global IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2015-2018)
- Selected as a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2019)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2019 Portland, Maine Litigation - Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2018 and 2021 Portland, Maine Litigation - Patent Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Business Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in Massachusetts Rising Stars® under Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts