Bill serves as Verrill's General Counsel and Loss Prevention Partner. As such, he advises the firm and its members on legal ethics and professionalism, supervises the firm's educational programs on those subjects, and counsels the firm on loss prevention matters.
Bill's general civil trial practice focuses on personal injury, probate, and real estate litigation. He has tried more than 50 cases, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts, where his success rate is more than 75% before Maine juries.
Bill has published articles in the Maine Bar Journal and has lectured extensively, including in local seminars on civil litigation, and lectures at the University of Maine School of Law, the People's University of China, and the Georgetown University Law Center.
- University of Idaho (J.D.)
- University of Warwick (LL.B.)
- Indiana University (B.A.)
- Board Member and former Chair of the Board of Directors, Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- Board of Directors, Maine Justice Action Group
- Board of Governors, Maine Trial Lawyers Association (past)
- Board Member and Legal Director, Maine Civil Liberties Union (past)
- Maine State Bar Association
- Past Member, Gignoux Inn of Courts
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellow, Maine Justice Foundation
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Recipient of the Peter DeTroy III Award, presented by the Campaign for Justice (2018)
- Recipient of the Janet Milley Award, presented by Pine Tree Legal Assistance (2015)
- Recipient of the Annual Award, presented by the Disability Rights Center (2002)
- Recipient of the Justice Louis Scolnik Award, presented by the Maine Civil Liberties Union (1999)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2015 Portland, Maine Litigation - Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2013 Portland, Maine Litigation - Trusts & Estates Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Land Use and Zoning, Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under General Litigation, Personal Injury Plaintiff: General, Estate & Trust Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho, Chief Judge Ray McNichols
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court