Juliet excels in creative problem-solving and partnering with clients to develop and implement solutions to environmental challenges. Her holistic approach to energy and environmental law ensures that her clients not only have the legal answers to their questions, but are positioned to succeed in their overall business objectives.
Juliet's practice focuses on all aspects of environmental law, including public hearings, project permitting, and compliance under federal, state, and local laws. Juliet is especially known for her ability to manage large-scale, complex permitting and development matters involving areas with high natural resource values, a field that is becoming increasingly contentious with well-funded and organized opponents, with creative problem-solving. Juliet's approach to environmental permitting often involves connecting diverse interest groups to minimize opposition to projects, resulting in a smoother, more efficient process.
For companies requiring strategic and effective project management, Juliet manages large and midsize energy infrastructure projects, making sure that all regulatory and policy options are explored and pursued where appropriate. Her clients rely on her responsiveness, candor, and willingness to give honest advice.
Her representative matters include:
- The successful permitting of several of the largest wind power projects in the northeastern United States, often facing a number of complex contentious issues
- Supporting the expansion of interstate natural gas pipeline facilities
- The revolutionary proposal by a team of conservation groups and the Penobscot Indian Nation to remove several dams located on the Penobscot River in Maine
- Working with a leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America on landfill permitting and compliance with state and federal regulations
- Successfully defending permits that are appealed to the Board of Environmental Protection, including a recent one by a broad group of opponents, including the town where the project was located
Juliet's years of experience have honed her judgment and deep understanding of the regulatory and political landscape. She joined Verrill in 1996 after practicing law at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in San Francisco and serving as Assistant Attorney General for the Republic of Palau, a former U.S. Trust Territory located in the Western Pacific. She has been called upon by regulators and stakeholder groups to develop, revise, and update environmental laws and regulations, and she served on the groundbreaking Governor's Wind Power Task Force in Maine.
Juliet serves as the Chapter Chair for the Maine Chapter of the Women Presidents' Organization, an organization that helps women entrepreneurs tackle strategic issues and grow their businesses through monthly business roundtables.
When not solving her clients' legal problems and working with successful entrepreneurs, Juliet enjoys hiking, skiing, and all forms of outdoor activities with her husband, daughter, and, if willing, her dog.
- University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law (J.D.)
- Articles Editor, California Law Review, 1989-1990
- University of Michigan (B.A.)
- Chapter Chair, Women Presidents Organization
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees, Maine Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
- Maine State Bar Association
- Member, E2tech Program Committee
- Named the Best Lawyers© 2023 Energy Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2022 Administrative / Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Environment (2005-Present)
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2020 Land Use and Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation - Environmental "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Administrative / Regulatory Law, Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Environmental Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation – Environmental, Natural Resources Law in Portland, Maine
- Selected as one of the "Top 50 Women" by New England Super Lawyers©
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Environmental, Energy & Natural Resources and Land Use/Zoning
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.