Rob focuses on construction, design, and surety law, and counsels his clients through all aspects of the construction process, including contract negotiation, procurement, bid protests, claims management and avoidance, and trials, arbitration, and mediation.
Rob excels at presenting complex claims and defenses in mediation, arbitration, and court. He has achieved significant victories for his clients in each forum, including a $1 million jury verdict for a contractor in a breach of contract and wrongful termination case in federal court in Vermont. Rob has tried, mediated, and arbitrated hundreds of contract, real estate, and construction disputes. In addition to his accomplishments in the area of claims and disputes, Rob focuses his construction practice on helping clients avoid claims through effective contract strategies, risk allocation, and negotiation. Rob maintains an active practice in state and federal courts throughout New England and regularly speaks on topics related to construction law. Rob co-chaired the ABA Forum on Construction Law’s Fall Meeting held in Seattle in 2021. Rob was recently elected to the Forum on Construction Law’s Governing Committee for a three year term. In addition to his work for clients, Rob is an active construction mediator and construction arbitration panel member with the American Arbitration Association.
Rob is an avid, albeit mediocre, runner and golfer. Rob has completed 18 half-marathons and six marathons in Maine, New York, Manchester City, and Boston.
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst (B.A., cum laude)
- Member, St. Lawrence Arts Center, Portland, Maine
- New Hampshire
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Panel Member, American Arbitration Association
- Program Co-chair, ABA Forum on Construction Law Annual Meeting 2020
- Steering Committee, Division I (Litigation and Dispute Resolution), and Chair, Distance Learning Subcommittee, SPEC Committee, ABA Forum on Construction Law
- Member, Associated General Contractors of Maine
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law, Public Contract Law Section and Fidelity and Surety Law Practice Section
- Named a Local Litigation Star for Construction, Professional Liability, Real Estate and Trade by Benchmark Litigation
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Litigation: General Commercial
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2024 Portland, Maine Construction Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2021 Portland, Maine Construction Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2018 Portland, Maine Construction Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2016 Portland, Maine Construction Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2012 Portland, Maine Litigation - Construction Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation - Construction
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Construction Litigation: Business, Professional Liability: Defense and Business Litigation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire