Greg has served as a trusted advisor to business clients for more than 30 years, helping them navigate their most complicated legal challenges through all kinds of market cycles and regulatory climates.
Greg has been recognized for his skill in both corporate law and securities law. He regularly guides companies, both large and small, through stock offerings, M&A transactions, and corporate restructurings. He also frequently assists other lawyers on the more technical aspects of projects involving financial regulations, legal opinions, or contract drafting. Greg has given special attention to capital formation issues for privately held companies. During 2014, he was among those involved in the design and drafting of the Maine crowdfunding statute and associated rules. Greg is also personally involved in capital formation from the standpoint of investors. He is a board member of the state's venture capital fund (Maine Venture Fund) and is also a member of the state's most active angel investor group (Maine Angels).
Beyond the technical and transactional side of his practice, Greg has served as outside general counsel to a large, diverse set of companies. Executives and directors look to him for experienced, pragmatic guidance on a wide range of problems, balancing business considerations with legal considerations. Greg is interested in management and efficiency issues. He has been a member of the firm's Total Quality Steering Committee since 1995 and has served as the Chair of the committee since 2008.
Before moving to Maine in 1985 to join Verrill, Greg practiced corporate and securities law in New York (Chadbourne Parke, now part of Norton Rose Fulbright) and Atlanta (Long & Aldridge, now part of Dentons). He has been active in the Business Law Section of the Maine State Bar Association. Greg has been a frequent panelist and lecturer on corporate governance and on topics affecting angel investing.
Greg's wife, Joanne, is an attorney who has her own divorce mediation firm. She also runs Mowfield Farm in Cumberland, Maine, where she grows dahlias for local florists and wedding planners. She and Greg enjoy sailing, skiing, hiking, and otherwise taking full advantage of all four New England seasons.
- Cornell Law School (J.D.)
- Cornell Law Review
- Dartmouth College (A.B., magna cum laude)
- Board of Trustees, Maine Maritime Academy (2016-present)
- Board Member, Maine Venture Fund (2007-2013 and 2018-present)
- Maine Bar Foundation, Director (2004-2006), Finance/Investment Committee (2004-2011)
- Maine Commission on Investment Capital (1990-1993)
- New York
- New Hampshire
- Maine State Bar Association: Business Law Section; Chairman (1991-1992); Chair, Securities Law Subcommittee (1993-present)
- Drafting Committee: Maine Business Corporation Act
- Drafting Committee: Maine Revised Uniform Partnership Act
- Drafting Committee: Maine Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act
- Drafting Committee: Maine Limited Liability Company Act
- Drafting Committee: Maine Uniform Securities Act
- Fellow, Maine Justice Foundation
- Boston Bar Association, Business Law Newsletter, Editor (2010-2011)
- Maine Angels (2013-2019), Governance Committee (September 2015-2019)
- Named the Best Lawyers© 2023 Securities/Capital Markets Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Portland, Maine
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Corporate/M&A
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2020 Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2012, 2014, 2018, and 2021 Securities/Capital Markets Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 and 2016 Securities Regulation "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Mergers & Acquisitions Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation in Portland, Maine
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Securities & Corporate Finance and Business/Corporate
- Recognized as a Top Author in 2021 JD Supra Readers' Choice Awards
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.