Tony's real estate work focuses on acquisitions, development, and leasing of commercial property, easements and title matters, zoning and land use, and community associations.
Tony has represented wind and solar power developers, water districts, telecommunications companies, and electric and gas companies on real estate matters both routine and complex. He has served as the Chair of Verrill's Real Estate Department since 2010.
Recent projects include serving as lead real estate counsel on:
- The Kibby Wind (132 MW), Stetson Wind I (57 MW), Stetson Wind II (26 MW), Rollins Wind (60 MW), Bull Hill Wind (34 MW), Hancock Wind (51 MW), and Weaver Wind (73 MW) power projects
- A natural gas expansion project involving five new compressor stations
- An 85-mile 345 kV electric transmission line
Tony's work on these projects has included negotiating numerous easement and lease agreements, resolving a variety of title problems and disputes, working with state agencies and local officials, and arranging for project financings.
Tony has participated in a number of speaking engagements on the law of easements. He served as chair of the Maine State Bar Association's Real Estate and Title Section from 2016 to 2018, and is an agent for the First American Title Insurance Company.
True to his New England roots, Tony is an avid Boston Bruins and Boston Red Sox fan. He also enjoys hiking and downhill skiing with his family.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review (1993-1994)
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.S., magna cum laude)
- Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Real Estate
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law in Portland, Maine
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Real Estate
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine