Scott assists his clients with navigating the myriad of federal, state, and local environmental laws for development projects large and small.
For energy infrastructure, mill operations, telecommunications facilities, large-scale retail, and environmental restoration, Scott has worked to obtain development permits, resolved conflicts with interested parties and opponents, and has helped to fashion creative solutions to environmental and regulatory challenges. With a results-driven track record of getting projects up and running, he offers strategies on permitting and compliance that meet the client’s needs.
Scott also works with clients regarding disputes with state and federal regulatory authorities and other governmental entities. He has defended issued permits, successfully challenged governmental contract awards, reversed election decisions by the Maine Secretary of State, and has represented clients seeking to hold governmental agencies accountable for their actions. At the agency level and in state and federal court, if you like or don’t like how your government is treating you, call Scott.
Scott does not attempt to do this alone. Working with his colleagues, with particular skill in corporate, tax, real estate, and energy law, Scott pulls together the right team for the job, bringing decades of experience to every project. He knows the law and regulations, and has dealt with permitting, compliance, and litigation involving complex state and federal rules and regulations.
When not diving into environmental matters, he skis off cliffs in Tuckerman’s Ravine and plays the fiddle. That’s right, the fiddle.
Services / Industries
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- University of Massachusetts (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Environment
- Named a Local Litigation Star for Energy and Natural Resources, Environmental and Telecommunications by Benchmark Litigation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2020 Portland, Maine Litigation - Land Use and Zoning Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2019 Portland, Maine Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2016 & 2018 Portland, Maine Litigation - Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Administrative / Regulatory Law, Environmental Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation - Environmental, Litigation - Land Use and Zoning, and Municipal Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Environmental
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.