Hans excels at resolving business and regulatory challenges by providing clear and actionable recommendations that translate into economic value and stability for clients. He works on a variety of energy, telecommunications, and water utility matters before utility commissions in Maine and across the U.S., as well as before the FCC.
As part of his work, Hans drafts filings and appears on behalf of private sector clients, industry associations, and government entities before various state and federal regulators across the U.S. He has worked on matters before utility commissions in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. He has experience in a variety of regulatory proceedings, including rulemakings, investigations, and other proceedings seeking utility commission approvals.
Hans also appears before state legislatures on behalf of energy and telecommunications clients. Through both written testimony and relationship building, he has engaged in targeted and general strategic government relations campaigns for clients in both Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont.
In his past career, Hans advised international development projects regarding their environmental regulatory compliance obligations to U.S. government donors. After entering Vermont Law School, Hans was an articles editor for the Vermont Law Review and a teaching assistant. Before joining Verrill, Hans served as a law clerk to the Honorable Justice Andrew Mead of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Hans spends much of his free time with his family, biking, skating, paddling, and sailing around Maine. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the World Affairs Council of Maine.
In addition to Hans's main services and industries, he also focuses on the following areas:
- Utility Commission Investigations, Rulemakings, and Adjudications
- Federal and State Universal Service Fund Programming and Advocacy
- Federal and State Broadband Deployment Grants and Partnerships
- Renewable Energy Regulatory Counsel
- Pole Attachment Licensing and Local Approvals
- Vermont Law School (J.D., summa cum laude)
- Editor, Vermont Law Review
- Connecticut College (B.A., magna cum laude)
- International Relations
- Board Member, World Affairs Council of Maine
- American Bar Association
- Vermont Law and Environmental Mission Scholar at Vermont Law School
- Spanish, Fluent
- French, Basic
- Quechua, Conversational