Paul has a national health care fraud and abuse practice, and represents health care clients involved in criminal and civil fraud and abuse investigations brought by federal and state government agencies in Massachusetts and throughout the United States.
Paul's clients include pharmaceutical service providers, hospitals, physicians, medical practice groups, behavioral health providers, clinical laboratories, durable medical equipment suppliers, home health agencies, and other health care providers. He has acted as counsel to a number of organizations including the Massachusetts Medical Society, The New England Journal of Medicine, the New England Medical Equipment Dealers Association, and the Massachusetts Home Care Association.
Paul also has an active government investigations, civil litigation, and white collar criminal defense practice, having successfully tried numerous cases in state and federal court involving health care, securities and insurance fraud, product liability, breach of contract, and personal injury claims. Additionally, he has argued in excess of 20 cases to appellate courts.
After graduating from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1975, Paul served as Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Bureau of the Massachusetts Department of the Attorney General from 1975 to 1982. There, he was Chief of the Regulatory Crimes Unit, which prosecuted economic crimes and offenses affecting state administrative agencies, including insurance, banking, and tax fraud, as well as hazardous waste cases.
Outside the office, Paul is an active rower in the Cambridge Boat Club and has participated as an umpire and rower in the annual "Head of the Charles" regatta.
- Georgetown University (J.D.)
- Editorial staff, Law & Policy in International Business Journal
- University of Massachusetts (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
- Adjunct Professor, Suffolk University Law School
- American Bar Association, former Vice Chair, Medicine and Law Committee of the Tort and Insurance Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association, former Chair, Health Law Section Council
- Boston Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Consistently recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Healthcare (2006-present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Health Care Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Criminal Defense: White Collar, General Litigation and Health Care
- Elected a Fellow of the American Health Law Association
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts