Dave is a nationally-recognized former federal prosecutor and high-profile trial lawyer, with more than 17 years of experience in high-stakes legal proceedings. He aggressively represents organizations and individuals in a wide variety of government and internal investigations, hearings, administrative actions, trials, and enforcement proceedings brought by federal and state government agencies, including in the health care and life sciences industries, export control and sanctions, and financial services industries.
Dave is resident in the Boston office and is also a member of our offices in Southwest Florida (Naples/Fort Myers) and in New York.
In the health care industry, Dave represents medical providers, medical practices, payors, hospital systems, opioid use disorder/recovery treatment centers, sober homes, pharmaceutical distributors and manufacturers, and corporate executives. Dave provides civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam/Whistleblower defense at the federal and state levels. Dave also provides compliance advice and represents clients in civil litigation and business disputes.
Prior to joining Verrill, Dave spent more than 16 years as a prosecutor and trial lawyer, including nearly a decade with the Department of Justice in both Massachusetts and Florida as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Criminal and Civil Divisions. In Boston, Dave held a senior leadership role and investigated and prosecuted some of the largest and most-complex health care and white-collar cases in the country, including those relating to pharmaceuticals and opioids, pharmacies, charitable co-pay foundations, hospitals, physician practices (small and large), government and commercial insurers, payment and reimbursement, durable medical equipment manufacture and supply, and telemedicine. Among his many significant trials, Dave was one of the lead trial lawyers on the 53-day racketeering trial of the billionaire founder of opioid manufacturer Insys Therapeutics, Inc.
Dave also has significant experience with COVID-19 government funding, including the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL), the Main Street Lending Program, and Provider Relief Funds (PRF). Dave has represented individuals under criminal investigation by the federal government in connection with the application for, receipt, and disposition of COVID-19 related funds. Dave has also advised corporations in connection with this emergency funding in both the civil and criminal contexts.
Dave’s experience also includes advising companies and individuals in connection with sanctions (OFAC) and export controls (ITAR and EAR), as well as investigations involving alleged sanction and export control violations (IEEPA), national security offenses, and investigations involving the Department of Justice’s Task Force KleptoCapture, the National Security Division, the Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section (MLARS), the Office of International Affairs, U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the Department of Commerce (DOC) Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
Dave also delivers deep experience and knowledge in criminal and civil asset forfeiture, restitution, money laundering, public corruption, and high-stakes financial penalties, including the pre-trial restraint and seizure of assets, such as complex assets and cryptocurrency. Dave also has experience in cybersecurity and privacy, including business email compromise matters, and received specialized training from the Department’s Computer Crimes and Intellectual Property Section. He has experience with both the SEC and CFTC, including in matters involving alleged market manipulation and insider trading. He also has experience defending against state Attorney General consumer protection and Massachusetts Chapter 93A actions.
A dynamic public speaker, Dave is regularly sought out to teach and speak on matters related to health care regulation and enforcement, and government investigations and has taught more than 2,000 federal and state health care enforcement agents and prosecutors how to conduct parallel investigations and health care fraud enforcement. Dave has also appeared on television shows including 60 Minutes on CBS, Alex Gibney’s Crime of the Century on HBO, and American Greed on CNBC. Dave has published articles in Law360, the New York Law Journal, and Compliance Today.
Dave is recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Healthcare in Massachusetts.
Dave began his legal career prosecuting violent crime and homicide cases in New York City.
Outside of the office, Dave enjoys skiing, coaching youth soccer and hockey, and spending time with his wife, three boys, and high-energy Vizsla.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Dean's Merit Scholar
- Colgate University (B.A.)
- Dean's Award for Community Service
- New York
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Collier County Bar Association
- Lee County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Former Member of the Advisory Council to the Hodges University Identity Fraud Institute, Naples, Florida
- Former Member of the International Association of Financial Crime Investigators (IAFCI)
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Healthcare in Massachusetts (2023)
- Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service, the Department of Justice’s second highest honor (2020)
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Director’s Citation (2020)
- Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (HHS OIG) Honors Award (2020)
- Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) award (2020)
- National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association (NHCAA) 2020 Investigation of the Year
- Recognized three times by the Director of the FBI - 2015 (wire fraud and money laundering), 2016 (Ponzi scheme), and 2021 (health care fraud)
- Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (HHS OIG) Integrity Award (2015)
- 2016 Prosecutor of the Year by the Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Panelist, White Collar Crime, Sentencing, Forfeiture & Restitution, District of Massachusetts CJA Training (February 9, 2023)
- Judge, American Mock Trial Association, Chestnut Hill Regional Tournament, Boston College (February 3-4, 2023)
- Guest, College Admissions Sentencing, Dan Abrams Live, NewsNation (January 3, 2023)
- Panelist, The Successful Prosecution of the Executives of Insys Therapeutics, Florida Bar Association (December 16, 2022)
- Author, Telehealth Compliance After the Public Health Emergency, Compliance Today Magazine (December 2022)
- Guest Speaker, Seton Hall University School of Law Health Care Fraud Seminar (November 10, 2022)
- Panelist, Federal and State Enforcement and the Opioid Crisis, Healthcare Enforcement Compliance Conference (November 7, 2022)
- Panelist, False Claims Act Update: Health Care Fraud & Abuse, American Health Lawyers Association (October 19, 2022)
- Panelist, ABA 32nd Annual National Institute on Health Care Fraud (June 24, 2022)
- Panelist, Telehealth Fraud Enforcement Trends and Implementation of Compliance Best Practices (June 16, 2022)
- Panelist, Cryptocurrency and Money Laundering, Boston Bar Association, White Collar Crime Conference (May 5, 2022)
- Panelist, Telehealth Enforcement, Health Care Compliance Association: 26th Annual Compliance Institute (March 28, 2022)
- Panelist, Virtual 22nd Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Ethics & Compliance Congress (Nov. 2-5, 2021)
- Panelist, Virtual Compliance Congress for Specialty Products (event) (June 22-24, 2021)
- Guest Speaker, DOJ Agent and Investigator Training, Parallel Criminal/Civil Investigations in Health Care (virtual) (June 2021)
- Guest Speaker, Asset Forfeiture in Health Care Fraud Investigations, FBI Health Care Fraud Agent Training (Webex May 2021)
- Panelist, Asset Forfeiture Chief’s and Experts Conference, Department of Justice (virtual) (May 6, 2021)
- Guest Speaker, Seton Hall University School of Law Health Care Fraud Seminar (virtual April 10, 2021)
- Panelist, Government Contract Investigations, Federal Bar Association (Feb 2021)
- Panelist, Enforcement During the COVID Era, American Bar Association Health Care Fraud Institute (virtual November 18, 2020)
- Panelist, Government Enforcement Trends, 21st PCF Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Ethics & Compliance Congress (virtual November 6, 2020)
- Panelist, Parallel Criminal and Civil Investigations, DOJ (Webex June 2020) (approximately 1,000 attendees)
- Speaker, Prosecuting Corporate Executives, FBI Health Care Fraud Agent Training (Webex June 2020)
- Speaker, Prosecuting Corporate Executives, DOJ Health Care Fraud Strike Force Training (Webex May 2020)
- Speaker, Department of Justice 2020 Opioid Summit, Washington, D.C. (March 2020)
- Regularly presented on various topics at Criminal and Civil Division Meetings at the United States Attorney’s Office
- Moderator, Department of Justice Civil Division Chief Conference, Columbia, SC (Feb. 2020)
- Panelist, Complex Multi-Defendant Litigation, Boston Bar Association White Collar Crime Conference (January 2020)
- Speaker, Department of Justice Fraud Section Annual Conference, Washington, DC (November 2019)
- Guest Speaker, Courtroom Technology at Trial, United States Attorney’s Office, District of Maine, All-Hands Retreat, Rockport, Maine (September 2019)
- Guest speaker, Harvard Summer School, The Opioid Epidemic (July 2019 & July 2020)
- Guest speaker, United States Marshals Service Asset Forfeiture Financial Investigator Training, Orlando, FL (May 2019)
- Guest speaker, City Police Chiefs, Everett, MA (January 2019)
- Guest Speaker, Asset Forfeiture, Boston CJA and Private Counsel Training, (Fall 2018)
- Guest speaker, International Association of Financial Crime Investigators (IAFCI), Canton, MA (Fall 2017)
- Guest lecturer, Financial Fraud Investigations Course, Southwest Florida Public Safety Academy, Fort Myers, Florida