Service to the community and the legal profession is one of our core values. Verrill's staff and attorneys are deeply committed to supporting the communities in which we live and work. We are proud of our contributions of human and financial resources to support the important work of charitable and non-profit organizations throughout New England.
Community Service Award
To honor the legacy of community service embodied by one of our most dedicated and longest-serving attorneys, the Roger A. Putnam Community Service Award was created. Throughout his legal career, Roger has been dedicated to ensuring access to justice for the most vulnerable and under-represented in our communities. Each year since, Verrill recognizes exceptional service to the community by a staff member or attorney.
2014: Roger Putnam, Of Counsel (Portland)
2015: Mark Borreliz, Counsel (Boston)
2016: Bill Harwood, Partner (Portland)
2017: Rob Laplaca, Partner (Westport)
2018: Vanny Neov, Legal Assistant (Boston)
2019: William Knowles, Counsel (Portland)
Commitment To Support
Verrill, and our staff and attorneys, are committed to the communities in which we live and work. Here are just a few examples of how we demonstrate that commitment:
- The Roger Putnam Fellowship Fund: A permanent endowment fund, established in honor of Verrill attorney Roger A. Putnam. The fund is held and administered by the University of Maine School of Law Foundation for the benefit of students participating in the school's clinical education program. The endowment supports an annual paid summer internship for a law student at the Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic.
- The Volunteer Lawyers Project: Recognized by the Maine Bar Foundation and the Volunteer Lawyers Project for accepting the most volunteer cases, and for dedicating the most hours of any Maine law firm.
- Campaign for Justice: Verrill attorneys donate thousands of dollars to the Campaign for Justice, an annual fundraising effort on behalf of six legal aid providers.
- Service to Community Organizations: Verrill's attorneys serve as trustees or board members for more than 177 non-profit organizations serving a wide range of community needs across New England.
- Financial Support to Community Organizations: Through donations and sponsorships, Verrill attorneys and staff donate generously to local charities annually.
- The 150 Project: In 2012, Verrill celebrated 150 years of client service. To honor this milestone, we launched "The 150 Project" in which we facilitated and recognized the donations of time, money, or property - in increments of 150 - by attorneys and staff for causes ranging from combating hunger to improving the environment.
- Pro Bono: Under the direction of our Pro Bono Coordinator, Verrill attorneys have been recognized as Katahdin Counsel by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court for working at least 50 pro bono hours in a year.
The percentage of Verrill attorneys providing pro bono service.
The number of hours donated to people in need of pro bono and legal aid.
The year we launched the Roger Putnam Community Service Award, recognizing staff and attorneys who embody our firm's spirit of community service.
The number of organizations supported by Verrill attorneys through board and volunteer service.