For more than three decades, Gary has assisted his clients in maneuvering successfully around the traps and pitfalls of the highly regulated world of health care.
Gary represents clients on a wide variety of corporate and regulatory issues, including primarily Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurer payments issues and appeals; 340B discount drug pricing; compliance and fraud and abuse issues and investigations; and licensing/certification matters. He provides advice and services to a variety of provider entities including teaching, community, and non-acute hospitals; physicians; and other non-institutional practitioners. He also acts as general counsel to a number of physician practices.
Gary has an active reimbursement practice covering administrative appeals from both claims and cost report disputes and mediation. He has had success in numerous appeals to administrative law judges (ALJs) and Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs), as well as in federal and state courts. Gary has handled numerous disputes with governmental and commercial payers, especially successfully reducing or eliminating recoupment demands.
In addition to reading and traveling in his spare time, Gary enjoys cycling, having ridden in the Pan-Mass Challenge five times.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Stony Brook University (B.A.)
- National Economics Honor Society
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association Massachusetts-Rhode Island Chapter Medal of Honor Award Recipient (2016)
- Muncie Gold Merit Award for Outstanding Service, Massachusetts Chapter of HFMA (2011)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Health Care Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Health Care
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- 1/14/2021 HFMA Mass./RI Revenue Cycle Conference | HHS Provider Relief Fund: Reporting and Compliance
- 4/29/2019 HFMA Region 1 Conference | Telemedicine and 340B Update
- 5/23/2018 HFMA Region 1 Conference | Audits Costing You Lots of Money? How to Stop the Bleeding
- 3/8/2018 Mass. Health and Hospital Association | Medicare Claims and Cost Report Appeals Update
- 1/19/2018 HFMA Mass./RI Revenue Cycle Conference | Medicare Shared Visits & “Incident To” Billing
- 1/20/2017 HFMA Mass./RI Revenue Cycle Conference | The 340B Drug Pricing Program – Complicated and Ambiguous: How to Survive
- 5/24/2016 Health Law Advocates Training Session | Medical Debt
- 9/25/2015 Boston Bar Association Health Law Section | 340B Drug Pricing Program – Proposed Mega- Guidance
- 6/22/2013 Pennsylvania Allergy and Asthma Association | Physicians, Social Media and the Law