For more than three decades, Gary has assisted his clients in maneuvering successfully around the traps and pitfalls of the highly regulated world of health care.
Gary represents clients on a wide variety of corporate and regulatory issues, including primarily Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurer payments issues and appeals; compliance and fraud and abuse issues and investigations; federal research grant questions; HIPAA privacy issues; and licensing/certification matters. He provides advice and services to a variety of provider entities including teaching, community, and non-acute hospitals; physicians and other practitioners such as acupuncturists, physical therapists and mental health providers; home health agencies; and diagnostic imaging and ambulance entities. He acts as general counsel to a number of physician practices.
Gary has an active reimbursement practice covering administrative appeals from both claims and cost report disputes and mediation. For example, he successfully represented two related teaching hospitals in multiple appeals of Medicare disallowances filed before the Provider Reimbursement Review Board covering multiple fiscal years. Gary worked diligently with the fiscal intermediary and the client to resolve the issues. As a result, a full and complete settlement was reached, and the clients recovered approximately $27 million. Gary has had success in numerous appeals to administrative law judges (ALJs) and Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs).
In addition to reading and traveling in his spare time, Gary enjoys cycling, having ridden in the Pan-Mass Challenge five times.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Stony Brook University (B.A.)
- National Economics Honor Society
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association Massachusetts-Rhode Island Chapter Medal of Honor Award Recipient (2016)
- Muncie Gold Merit Award for Outstanding Service, Massachusetts Chapter of HFMA (2011)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Health Care Law
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Health Care
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit