Mat works closely with clients to solve complex regulatory matters. When necessary, he also defends clients facing inspections or enforcement proceedings from administrative agencies.
Mat’s experience and passion for his work have translated into a strong record of success in defending clients in enforcement proceedings, specifically concerning federal regulatory matters. Mat defends and negotiates on behalf of his clients under statutes such as the Clean Water Act, EPCRA, FIFRA, and with a particular focus on Section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act. He also represents clients in complex, multi-party, CERCLA matters for sites listed on EPA’s National Priorities List.
Mat routinely advises clients facing an array of regulatory compliance challenges, including the ever-changing landscape of chemical regulation, private and agency-supervised environmental remediations, FEMA flood map appeals, and product labeling, including California’s Proposition 65. Mat works closely with clients engaged in wastewater treatment and waste disposal to secure federal and state permits and to develop creative and innovative legal and policy solutions. Mat also assists clients with OSHA compliance and defense, focusing on development of comprehensive and effective regulatory programs, such as Environment, Health and Safety, Hazard Communication and Process Safety Management.
In all aspects of his work, while serving as outside counsel, Mat prides himself on becoming a dedicated and integrated member of his client’s teams, much like a devoted inside counsel.
Mat’s experience includes clerkships with the U.S. Department of Justice’s Environment and Natural Resources Division and the Office of General Counsel within the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. During law school, he was awarded an honors certification in environmental law, selected as a Rappaport Fellow, and elected president of the Environmental Law Society. Prior to law school, Mat was the International Policy Director for one of the nation’s largest environmental policy networks, working directly with members of the U.S. State Department and Congress on the issue of climate change. And following two years in Teach For America, for a “break,” Mat rode his bicycle across the country in 52 days—Seattle to Maine to be exact.
In the rare moments when Mat is not at his desk or at a client’s facility, he and his wife spend every moment possible enjoying their two incredible children.
Services / Industries
- Boston College Law School (J.D.)
- The George Washington University (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Teach For America (ENC 2004)
- American Bar Association: Section on Environment, Energy and Resources
- Select Roles within Section:
- Co-chair: National Enforcement Conference, Washington, D.C. - Fall 2019
- Planning Committee: Fall Conference, Boston, MA - Fall 2019
- Leadership Development Program: 2016
- Select Roles within Section:
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Environment
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Environmental
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2016)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.