Chris is a problem-solver and employee benefits "generalist" who advises clients on a range of pension, executive compensation, and welfare benefit plan issues, but maintains a focus on assisting clients with health care reform compliance, negotiation of administrative services agreements, and the operation of consumer-driven health care arrangements such as health savings accounts (HSAs), flexible spending accounts (FSAs), and health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs). Chris also has significant experience in the correction of retirement plan qualification failures, defending IRS audit and DOL investigations, and winding down plan administered by bankrupt entities.
As a member of the firm’s ERISA litigation practice, Chris defends fiduciary breach claims and claims for benefits under both pension and welfare benefit plans.
Chris lives at the cutting edge of new regulatory requirements concerning fiduciary governance for health and welfare benefit plans and the group health plan transparency requirements under the Transparency in Coverage final rule and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. He also works extensively with client to address compliance concerns that arise when implementing healthcare point solutions that offer tools to address diabetes management, fertility, and medical travel, among other things.
Prior to joining Verrill, Chris served as a law clerk in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and, while in law school, worked full-time at a multinational securities brokerage firm. These experiences helped shape the pragmatism Chris brings to his practice and to his clients.
A Maine native, Chris enjoys nature and the outdoors. During his time away from the office he can be found exploring the wilds of Maine, hiking, canoeing, fishing, and paddle-boarding with his family and friends.
- Duquesne University Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Allegheny College (B.A., cum laude)
- Board of Directors, Healthcare Purchaser Alliance of Maine (formerly the Maine Health Management Coalition)
- New England Employee Benefits Council
- Maine Employee Benefits Council
- American Bar Association, Joint Committee on Employee Benefits (JCEB)
- Gerald K. Gibson Memorial Award
- Susan H. Wilkie Professional Responsibility and Ethics Award
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2016)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Employee Benefits
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Western District of Pennsylvania, Honorable Jeffery A. Deller
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania