Chris pursued a career in the law because he enjoys solving problems. Although Chris is an employee benefits and executive compensation “generalist” capable of advising clients on a range of pension and welfare benefit plan issues, he has significant experience correcting retirement plan administrative errors, defending IRS audits and DOL investigations, and winding down plans administered by bankrupt entities. As a member of the Firm’s ERISA Litigation practice group, Chris also defends fiduciary breach claims and claims for benefits under both pension and welfare benefit plans.
Chris also advises plan fiduciaries, sponsors, and service providers regarding general ERISA compliance, fiduciary advice, and plan design matters. Specific to welfare benefit plans, Chris regularly assists clients with health care reform compliance, wellness programs, and consumer-driven health care arrangements such as health savings accounts (HSAs), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), a Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs).
Chris understands the importance of developing and implementing efficient solutions to business problems. While his practice is focused exclusively on employee benefits and executive compensation, Chris’s clients benefit from his background in bankruptcy law and business. Prior to joining Verrill, Chris served as a law clerk in United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and, while in law school, worked at a multinational securities brokerage firm. These experiences helped to shape the business perspective Chris brings to his practice and to his clients.
A Maine native, Chris enjoys nature and the outdoors. He is co-chair of the Firm’s Sustainability Committee and during his time away from the office can be found exploring the wilds of Maine, hiking, canoeing, and paddle-boarding with his family and friends.
- Duquesne University Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Allegheny College (B.A., cum laude)
- Board of Directors, Healthcare Purchaser Alliance of Maine (formerly the Maine Health Management Coalition)
- New England Employee Benefits Council
- Maine Employee Benefits Council
- American Bar Association, Joint Committee on Employee Benefits (JCEB)
- Gerald K. Gibson Memorial Award
- Susan H. Wilkie Professional Responsibility and Ethics Award
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for Pro Bono efforts (2016)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Employee Benefits
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Western District of Pennsylvania, Honorable Jeffery A. Deller
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania