Jim practices at the intersection of law and politics. Based on decades of experience as a regulatory lawyer, mediator, and elected official — including as Mayor of Portland, Jim helps clients in heavily regulated industries achieve their legal and policy goals before state and local regulatory agencies and legislative bodies.
Jim's unique background allows him to provide clients not only with insightful legal advice, but also with creative solutions involving public relations, facilitation, and outreach to key government, business, and community leaders. His experience in public service and leadership positions on multiple business and nonprofit boards gives him a deep understanding of government and a broad range of connections within Maine's business and political community.
Applying these skills across a wide range of regulated industries, Jim has helped craft or modify laws and regulations, represented clients in adjudicatory proceedings before government agencies and the courts, assisted clients in complex business transactions, facilitated stakeholder groups, and provided a wide range of legal and public policy advice.
Jim is an avid runner, biker, skier, "golfer" (quotes intentionally added), and sometimes guitar player.
- Columbia University School of Law (J.D.)
- Princeton University, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (A.B., cum laude)
- University of Southern Maine (Certificate Program in Mediation)
- Mayor, City of Portland (2005-06), Portland City Council (2002-08)
- Portland Charter Commission, Vice Chair (2009-10)
- Cumberland County Budget Committee (2003-05)(Chair, 2005)
- Portland Regional Chamber of Commerce, Chair (2012-14), Trustee (2008-present)
- Portland Community Chamber of Commerce, Board President (2019-present)
- Maine State Chamber of Commerce, Trustee (2009-present)
- Portland Trails, President (1997-98), Advisory Trustee (2002-present)
- Project Green Schools, Advisory Trustee (2017-present)
- See More Public Service
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- Maine State Bar Association: Consumer and Financial Institutions Section, Chair (1999-2000), Member (1996-present)
- Maine Association of Mediators, Board of Governors (2008-2010), Member (2007-present)
- Federal Communications Bar Association, New England Chapter, Steering Committee Member
- Maine State Bar Association, ADR Section, Member (2009-present)
- Court Appointed Dispute Resolution Service, Roster of Mediators (2011-2014)
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Energy & Natural Resources Law
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Administrative/Regulatory Law, Government Relations Practice, Energy Regulatory Law in Portland, Maine
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Utilities, Banking and Government Relations
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2019 and 2020 Portland, Maine Energy Law Lawyer of the Year
- Neal W. Allen Award for Leadership in the Public Sector (2009)
- Ruth M. Shaper Memorial Award, Maine Public Health Association (2008)
- Public Service for the Environment Award, Sierra Club, ME Chapter (2006)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.