Eric maintains a diverse employee benefit and executive compensation practice with a focus on retirement plans, executive compensation, deferred compensation, and fiduciary governance.
Eric has extensive experience in issues that affect the benefit plans of employers in the health care industry and higher education, as well as other tax-exempt employers. He works extensively with boards of directors and compensation committees in the establishment of executive compensation programs and the development of sound fiduciary governance and compliance policies and practices.
Eric is the Chair of the firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group, a regular contributor to the Group's blog, Benefits Law Update, and a frequent speaker on employee benefits topics.
Eric has served in leadership positions on a number of nonprofit boards in Portland. He is particularly proud of his work on the restoration of the Portland Observatory (1807), which achieved National Historic Landmark status. Eric recently served as President of the Portland Public Library. Eric enjoys time aboard his boat in Casco Bay and visiting New York City to reconnect with his urban roots.
- University of Chicago (J.D.)
- Columbia University (B.A., M.I.A.)
- Trustee (2005-2016), President (2012-2015), Portland Public Library
- Trustee (2004-2011), President (2007-2009), Portland Ballet
- Trustee (1992-1998), Advisory Trustee (1999-present), Greater Portland Landmarks
- President, Portland Observatory Restoration Trust (1997-2001)
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Tax and Health Law Sections, Maine State Bar Association
- Maine Employee Benefits Council
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Named the Best Lawyers© under Business Organizations (including LLCs and partnerships) "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine (2019)
- Named the Best Lawyers© under Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine (2017)
- Named the Best Lawyers© under Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine (2015, 2020)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Health Care Law, and Business Organizations (including LLCs and partnerships) in Portland, Maine (2024)
- Named to the 2019 New England Super Lawyers© list under Employee Benefits and Health Care
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.