Eric maintains a diverse employee benefit and executive compensation practice with a keen focus on retirement plans, executive compensation, deferred compensation, and fiduciary compliance.
Eric has extensive experience in issues that affect employers in the health care industry, higher education, and other tax-exempt employers. He works extensively with boards of directors and compensation committees in the establishment of executive compensation programs and the development of sound fiduciary governance and compliance policies and practices.
Eric is an editor and a regular contributor to the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group blog.
He also maintains an active corporate practice in the health care industry, serving as general counsel to private medical groups and advising medical practices on corporate matters, physician compensation, and medical group integration transactions.
Eric has served in leadership positions on a number of non-profit boards in Portland. He is particularly proud of his work on the restoration of the Portland Observatory (1807), which achieved National Historic Landmark status. Eric recently served as President of the Portland Public Library. To recharge, Eric enjoys time aboard his restored lobster boat in Casco Bay, or travelling to New York City to reconnect with his urban roots.
Services / Industries
- University of Chicago (J.D.)
- Columbia University (B.A.)
- Portland Public Library, Trustee (2005-2016); President (2012-2015)
- Portland Ballet, Trustee (2004-2011); President (2007-2009)
- Greater Portland Landmarks, Trustee (1992-1998), Advisory Trustee (1999-present)
- Portland Observatory Restoration Trust, President (1997-2001)
- Maine State Bar Association (Tax and Health Law Sections)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Maine Employee Benefits Council
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2019 Portland, Maine Business Organizations (Including LLCs and Partnerships) Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Portland, Maine Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2015 & 2020 Portland, Maine Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Health Care Law, and Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Employee Benefits and Health Care
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.