Rachel is a highly experienced trial and appellate attorney representing businesses of all stripes in resolving their complex, bet-the-company commercial disputes. Rachel also has significant experience representing companies and individuals in administrative proceedings and appeals, white collar criminal matters, employment litigation, government investigations, and shareholder disputes. Rachel represents businesses in the industries of finance, health care, insurance, real estate lending and developing, and manufacturing, among many others.
Since joining Verrill in 2012, Rachel has represented some of the region's most esteemed businesses in their most complex disputes. For example, Rachel represented an academic medical center with respect to multi-million-dollar claims arising out of research misconduct and represented a large family-run business against claims of minority shareholder oppression. Rachel has successfully defended against claims of wrongful termination of employment and defamation.
Rachel’s wealth of appellate experience includes having briefed and argued in numerous Federal Courts of Appeal, including the D.C., First and Second Circuits. She has also briefed and argued prominent cases to the Maine Supreme Court, including two cases involving high-profile elections.
Prior to joining Verrill, Rachel was a partner in the New York office of an international law firm. There, Rachel defended some of the country’s largest institutions against government investigations, in shareholder litigation, and in all manner of commercial disputes. Rachel was co-chair of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group.
Rachel has been committed to pro bono work since her first days of practicing. Rachel has represented numerous asylum applicants, handled impact litigation on behalf of underserved public education students, represented the unemployed in their quest for unemployment insurance, and defended individuals charged with drug crimes in plea negotiations.
In her spare time, and when not chauffeuring her son to various practices and games, Rachel enjoys running, reading, and visiting Portland's restaurants and breweries.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., With Honors)
- University of Michigan (M.A.)
- University of Vermont (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Former Member, Legal Advisory Board, Sanctuary for Families
- New York
- Maine State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Named a Local Litigation Star for Appellate and General Commercial by Benchmark Litigation
- Received Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts (2015, 2017)
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont