Verrill's Private Clients & Fiduciary Services Group draws on the experience of its attorneys to provide clients with trustworthy advice regarding the transfer of wealth. We get to know you, your family, and your goals as we produce plans that carry out your intentions. Through our extensive knowledge of estate planning techniques, our attention to the estate administration process, and our care as fiduciaries of the trusts we oversee, we help our clients achieve fulfilling outcomes.
Sound, Efficient Wealth Transfer Techniques
The group deploys advanced estate planning strategies to facilitate the effective, efficient transfer of wealth within families. We also frequently work with our clients to achieve their charitable-giving goals by planning charitable gifts, organizing charitable entities, and managing charitable trusts and foundations that they establish.
Trust is the foundation of our practice. We earn the trust of our clients by learning about their families, by recognizing their needs, and by exercising our keen discretion. The trust we build serves as the cornerstone not only of our estate planning and fiduciary work, but also of our "family office" services for clients who engage our team for personal affairs management, including bill payment, management of insurance relationships, and maintenance of financial records.
Our practice in the probate courts of Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut includes establishments of probate estates, advocacy in guardianship and conservatorship proceedings, and litigation in estate and trust disputes.
Prudent and Empathetic Fiduciaries
We offer full-service, personalized trust management to our clients and their families. Our attorneys and trust management team communicate directly with clients to develop an in-depth understanding of each beneficiary's circumstances. Informed by the situations of those we serve, our fiduciaries exercise sound judgment to diligently and discreetly manage the trusts under our care.
We work with individuals and families on matters including:
- Asset protection planning
- Charitable gift planning, including planned giving and private foundations
- Durable powers of attorney and health care proxies and directives
- Estate administration
- Estate and income tax and financial planning
- Estate planning
- Family office management
- Guardianship and conservatorship of children and adults
- Intergenerational gifting
- LGBTQIA+ legal issues
- Multigenerational ownership and succession of family compounds and vacation properties
- Non-married and co-habitants agreements
- Planning for multigenerational ownership of real estate and succession
- Post-marital agreements
- Pre-marriage planning and agreements
- Probate and trust litigation
- Succession planning for closely held businesses
- Trust management/fiduciary services