Sara helps clients protect their brands through management and enforcement of their intellectual property rights. An experienced litigator, Sara has litigated claims for copyright, trademark, and trade dress infringement in federal courts in New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Maine and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, across a variety of industries including fashion and design, hospitality, food and beverage, manufacturing, and nutritional supplements.
Sara also assists clients in protecting their brands outside of litigation. Her experience spans the entire life cycle of brand creation and management, which includes analyzing the suitability of registration and assessing the risk posed by existing products and brands in the marketplace. Sara helps clients monitor unauthorized use by others, facilitating the licensing of existing intellectual property and enforcing her clients' rights.
Sara's practice extends beyond the United States. She helps foreign clients secure intellectual property rights within the United States and obtain foreign protection for rights secured domestically.
In addition to her experience handling intellectual property disputes, Sara is Verrill's e-discovery counsel and regularly assists Verrill's clients with electronic discovery and information governance. She and Verrill's e-discovery team stay current with the evolving legal landscape and technology. They counsel Verrill's clients on the necessary legal requirements, provide reasonable and cost-effective solutions, and work with clients and vendors to implement these solutions.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Michigan (B.A.)
- Michigan Class Honors
- Town of Cape Elizabeth, Thomas Memorial Library Committee Member
- Through These Doors, Vice President and Governance Committee
- Resources for Human Development, Human Rights Committee Member (2012-2015)
- The Guidance Center, Inc., Board of Visitors (2010-2015)
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section: Business Litigation Committee, Vice Chair (2013-present); Standing Committee on Membership Member (2009-2011); Task Force on Outreach to Law Students Member (2009-2011)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee, Vice Chair (2013-2014)
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division: Commission on Women in the Profession (2010-2011)
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation's 2017 "Under 40 Hot List"
- Katahdin Counsel Recognition for pro bono efforts
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit