Verrill's Energy Group counsels clients throughout New England on a range of solar projects. Our lawyers prepare, review, and negotiate power purchase agreements as well as construction, installation, and materials contracts. We also provide tax and business advice on issues related to solar development. We have experience with residential and utility-scale projects and have a skilled team that works in this expanding and innovative industry.
Verrill has broad experience assisting solar companies with all aspects of distributed solar projects in Maine, including:
- Advising solar companies on the distributed generation procurement process to be held by the Maine Public Utilities Commission in Summer 2020
- Advising solar companies on the utility interconnection process
- Advising solar companies on compliance with Maine’s net energy billing rules and standard contracts
- Assisting solar companies with state and local permitting
- Advising solar companies on project finance and commercial contracts
- Drafting solar lease options, leases, easements, licenses, and other real estate documents
- Drafting power purchase agreements and net energy bill credit agreements
The following are examples of solar matters handled by our Energy Group:
- Pittsfield Solar Project - Represented Cianbro Development Corp. subsidiary Pittsfield Solar, LLC, in successfully obtaining regulatory approvals for a 9.9-megawatt ground-mounted solar array to be located on 54 acres in Pittsfield, Maine. At the time the project went into service in 2017, it was the largest solar project in the state.
- Madison Solar Project - Advised Madison Electric Works, a publicly owned electric utility that sought to add more solar-generated electricity to become a 4.8 MW solar energy farm that, at the time, was more than double the size of the next largest solar project in the state.
- Net Metering - Advised a Massachusetts property management company regarding long-term virtual net metering contracts.
- Bowdoin Solar Project - Represented Bowdoin College in securing municipal approvals to install an underground electric distribution line to serve the college's new 1.2 MW, 4,500-panel solar generating project which, at the time, was the largest solar development in the state. Also advised on the project's real estate issues.
- Solar PPA Negotiation - Represented North Haven Sustainable Housing in negotiating a solar power purchase agreement with Maine's largest solar installation company.
- Falmouth Solar Project - Advised Moody's Collision Center on its investment in a substantial solar development at Maine Audubon in Falmouth. Provided counsel on the power purchase agreement between Moody's and Maine Audubon, as well as on various agreements and warranties underlying the installation of the facilities. Also advised with respect to tax and real estate matters.
- Acquisition of Massachusetts Solar Projects - Represented First Wind in its acquisition of several solar projects in Massachusetts.
- Brunswick Solar Project - Represented Diversified Communications in the acquisition of a $2.5 million solar array in Brunswick, Maine. The array, which was developed by ReVision Energy and went online in January 2018, provides power to more than 100 businesses at Brunswick Landing. Advised Diversified Communications on federal debt financing, solar investment tax credits, renewable energy credits, electric power sales, EPC contracting, and regulatory, real estate, and corporate matters.