Rob provides advice and representation to management on all aspects of the employment relationship. He works with clients engaged in construction, health care, manufacturing, transportation, utilities, and other industries throughout the country. Rob has successfully handled matters related to union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, unfair labor practice charges, strikes, and arbitration.
Rob routinely handles claims for wrongful discharge, discrimination, unpaid wages, breach of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and other disputes before judges, juries, and administrative agencies, and has successfully represented clients at all levels of the state and federal court systems. Rob also regularly provides advice and assistance to clients on proper termination procedures, Family Medical Leave Act issues, labor relations, disability issues, stock option and employee benefit disputes, and other matters.
Rob has a particular focus on negotiating project labor agreements for large-scale construction projects. Rob has also advised public and private entities concerning the lawful use of project labor agreements in the context of a state's competitive bidding laws.
- Provided management counseling and litigation representation to employers throughout the country
- Drafted and negotiated project labor agreements for construction projects throughout the country, including pipelines, bridges, tunnels, highways, manufacturing facilities, marine terminals, water treatment facilities, nuclear waste treatment facilities, and environmental remediation sites
- Successfully represented employers before state administrative boards, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and courts on issues involving sex discrimination, race, disability, and age-related cases
- Successfully represented employers before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) on issues related to unfair labor practices, collective bargaining, and organizing campaigns
- Frequent lecturer on issues of labor and employment law
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D.)
- Harvard University (A.B.)
- Chair, Harvard College Schools and Scholarships Committee for Southern Maine (1996-present)
- Maine State Bar Association
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Labor & Employment
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2017 Litigation - Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Labor Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment, Workers' Compensation Law - Employers, and Employment Law - Management in Portland, Maine
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense and Workers' Compensation
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit