In the course of her practice, Beth has litigated numerous employment and labor law matters, primarily defending claims brought against Maine employers. She has handled cases at all stages of litigation before state and federal trial courts, state and federal administrative agencies and the Maine Supreme Judicial Court sitting as the Law Court. Beth has a particular depth of knowledge in workers' compensation law, including the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act. Beth is a member of the National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN), and an American Bar Association College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Fellow. She also has particular skill in drafting and maintaining Affirmative Action plans and programs for employers in many fields.
- Successfully defended a case brought by a home health nurse who fell in her own driveway, yet sought workers’ compensation benefits for her injuries.
- Successfully litigated, in conjunction with the E.E.O.C., the first case in Maine involving allegations of a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act with respect to mental health disability, among other employment-related claims. Ms. Smith obtained a settlement on behalf of a client in excess of $350,000.
- Assisted in the hearing and appeal process regarding a union drive against an employer.
- Assisted numerous clients in drafting and maintaining affirmative action plans, as well as provided training to supervisors and administrators of the plans.
- Authored articles in national publications on employment law issues, and has lectured on issues of employment law and litigation in a variety of forums.
Services / Industries
- University of Maine School of Law (J.D.)
- Bowdoin College (A.B., cum laude)
- American Bar Association
- Maine State and Cumberland Bar Associations
- Executive Board, National Workers Compensation Defense Network, 2018-
- Employer Co-chair, American Bar Association Workers' Compensation Standing Committee, 2017-
- Red Mass Committee, Co-Chair, 2003-2005; Founding Member of Host Committee, 1998-
- Member, Women’s Law Section and Employment Law Section of the Maine State Bar Association
- Cumberland Bar Association, 1992-1998, 2006-
- Member, National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN), 2006-
- Boston Bar Association, 2007
- Fellow, American Bar Association College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers, 2014-
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business under Labor & Employment
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© under Workers' Compensation Law - Employers
- Selected by peers for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers© under Workers' Compensation, Employment & Labor
To learn more about third-party ratings and rankings, and the selection processes used for inclusion, click here.
Court and Other Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit